måndag, augusti 27, 2012

Llama help me do my timesheet

I have to share my experience of connecting Llama to the Time Recording – Timesheet app making my Android phone help my remember how many hours I have spent at work. Just by keeping the phone in my pocket.

The open Android platform, at it’s best. Using one app to control another unrelated app.

To follow this instruction, first make yourself generally familiar with Llama.

In Llama I create an event:

  1. Name: Check in
  2. Condition: Enter Area: Work
    and Wi-Fi Network Connected: (my work network)
  3. Action – Android intent
    • Intent send mode: Broadcast
    • Action: com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_IN

And then

  1. Name: Check out
  2. Condition: Leave Area – Work
  3. Action: Android intent
    1. Intent send mode: Broadcast
    2. Action: com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_OUT

So when I connect to the Wi-Fi at work in the morning, Llama sends a message, that is received by Time Recording, checking me in. Then in the afternoon when I leave work a new message is sent to check me out. 

You might have to try different tricks to filter false check in or check out, but this works for me.

Here you can find some more info about available intents in Time Recording.

2 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

HackerBaloo - Thank you for sharing this. I've become a huge fan of Time Tracker and have been looking for a way to automatically check in when entering my office. I set up the sequence you described. I set it to ask for confirmation, which it does, so I know it's sending the command. The only problem is that Time Tracker doesn't seem to respond to it.

I'm using an Asus ePad Transformer TF101.

I've asked the makers of TimeTracker for their support as well, but do you have any suggestions?

Baloo sa...

Well, I have not used it for a while. But I tried it again now. Pushed the button Test Actions, and I got the notification "Time Recording: Check-in done"
So look closely if you have configured the intent as the post says.
Package name and Class name should be empty.
You should only set values in the two fields I mentioned.